Welcome to the INTERNATIONAL TECHNOLOGY AND ENGINEERING EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION! ITEEA is dedicated to providing support, leadership and resources in the field of Technology and Engineering Education and promoting the worth of technology and engineering as a vital part of a STEM education.
Our members and member institutions represent the best and brightest educational innovators in the STEM universe. I invite you to browse our website, which is a useful resource for promoting technological literacy and STEM initiatives. Our goal is to provide support and resources for classroom teachers and other professionals, worldwide, with the resources they need to prepare the next generations of innovators, designers, problem solvers, producers, and engineers whose influence will change the world.
ITEEA has locations around the world where information is available about the association and its benefits. Each of these locations has a point of contact that may be geographically closer to you or speak your language. Use the International Centers link on our website for contact information if you need assistance or contact our ITEEA office.
Our Members have an array of benefits and services available to them: from our world class periodical, Technology and Engineering Teacher, to access to the “Members Only” section of the website, discounted registration fee for Annual Conferences, professional insurance programs, to curriculum materials discounts. We also have a section of the website dedicated to STEM Education Products. Members are eligible for grants, scholarships, and awards in addition to professional recognition.
The association has several initiatives underway related to STEM awareness and support. With that, the Board of Directors has created a three-year pilot K-12 “STEM Department Membership,” where a team of science, technology, engineering and math teachers, who are working to deliver true STEM education, may join as a school.
Here are some other initiatives that are on the ITEEA “front burner”:
Branding and Marketing
- Update look – refresh
- Random image generator in header
- Include a site search engine
- Link for STEM Activity – Link leads to a member/non-member choice – member goes straight to activity selection page. Non-members taken to choice of paying for the activity or opportunity to join ITEEA and get it for free. EbD produces the STEM activity involving Tech Ed teacher, Math and Science teacher in a short-term cooperative activity. Goal: to make the Engineering/Technology Teacher the STEM “go-to” at their school
- Scheduled meeting with our Vendors. Listen to and try to accommodate their ideas for “win-win” improvements.
- Piggyback Vendor mailings with endorsements from our vendors on their pubs.
- Sponsor ITEEA Future Teacher Scholarship at TSA Conference
- Have a visible presence at the TSA Conferences - Make greetings and solidarity comments at TSA Conference
- Devise a plan to reach non-ITEEA members with at least one communication that lets classroom teachers know we represent them and provide useful support for them.
- Heavily market the classroom teacher focus of the Orlando Conference
- Create a STEM Department Membership (similar to the Elementary Membership) to bring in Math and Science teachers as members of ITEEA.
Conference Improvement Ideas
- Move Teaching Technology and Engineering STEM Showcase up earlier in the conference and market it more prominently.
- Create more classroom teacher presentation opportunities during the conference to spotlight and promote best practices from classroom teachers for classroom teachers.
- Make time for the Executive Committee to attend the TEECA Awards Dinner – Would have to move the 21st Century Leaders Dinner for this to happen.
TSA Partnership Ideas
- Promote the 3D Teacher Idea that came from the first “TSA/ITEEA summit meeting”.
- Teacher Ed Colleges have booths at the TSA Conference to recruit seniors – possibly sponsor a reception for seniors
- Have an ITEEA Presence at the TSA Conference – we’ve done this in the past –a prominent booth space, give “ITEEA Member” ribbons to TSA Advisors who are. Promotional brochure….
- Recognize that many of today’s teachers are not the product of “traditional” teacher prep programs – they come from industry or converted.
- TEECA Members as judges of Future Technology Teacher Contest at TSA Conferences
- TSA Sponsor the TEECA luncheon
- EbD offer TSA Event as alternative activities to support EbD Curriculum
- TSA Promote Teacher/Program Excellence Award application-participation.
- Both Agencies make lists of things that they’d like from the other
- Create space for TSA “Strand” at Orlando Conference:
- TSA Contest Events as STEM Curriculum Support
- TSA-TEECA-ITEEA – The pipeline for future educational leaders
- TEECA Session on the value of TSA Chapters as a teaching/recruitment tool
- TEECA Future Technology Teacher from TSA membership
ITEEA is a teaching resource goldmine. The association has one of the busiest listservs on the Internet, the IdeaGarden. It has become a wonderful resource for teachers to discuss issues and share ideas. Publications and curriculum are available for STEM education and STEM Educators. There are also many professional development opportunities available through STEM+Center for Teaching and Learning (STEM+CTL). STEM+CTL has developed the only standards-based national model for Grades K-12 that delivers technological literacy. The model, Engineering by Design™ is built on Standards for Technological Literacy (ITEEA); Principles and Standards for School Mathematics (NCTM); and Project 2061, Benchmarks for Science Literacy (AAAS).
Finally, make plans now to attend the ITEEA 76th Annual Conference in Orlando, Florida, March 27-29, 2014. Hope to see you there!
The Board of Directors and the knowledgeable, experienced headquarters staff are here to serve your needs. If there is ever anything that we can do to improve teaching and learning about engineering and technology and its importance in STEM, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.
Steve Price, President 2013-14
R Steven Price, M.Ed., DTE
Georgia Technology Student Association
P.O. Box 2304
Acworth, GA 30102